Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Who am I?

The most obvious questions anyone who is taking a serious look at this technology would ask are: Who is this guy? and Does he know what he is talking about?

My name is Andy Lawrence. I have over 20 years experience designing and implementing file system drivers, custom file systems, disk utilities, and cloud storage solutions.

Hopefully, my posts on this blog will speak for themselves as to whether my ideas have merit. I will leave it up to the readers to judge for themselves if the problems I discuss are real and whether or not my solutions are valid.

As far as my qualifications for delivering storage solutions go, here are my credentials. After graduating from college in the late 80s with a BS in computer science, I joined Novell where among other things I worked on device drivers for the DOS, Windows, and OS/2 operating systems. Here I learned in great detail about how disk drives worked and how file systems handle data streams.

In 1995, I joined a small startup called PowerQuest where just a few of us engineers worked on a disk partitioning product called Partition Magic. During my nearly 8 years at the company, I lead the development of a couple other products, Drive Copy and Drive Image. These were among the first disk imaging solutions to enter the market.

I have written custom file systems, worked on cloud based backup solutions, and designed my own general-purpose data management solution. My current "Day Job" is at Move Networks. I am a Principal Engineer at this company which was acquired by Echostar early last year.

I have recruited a small team of former colleagues to assist me in implementing the various features of this new architecture. They also have regular jobs, so we are working on this project in our spare time.

No comments:

Post a Comment